The Charity was founded on 28 February 1551 in the Parish of St Clement Danes, Westminster, funded by land purchased in St Andrew’s, Holborn, to provide alms for twelve poor parishioners.

The original parish church survived the Great Fire but later became unsafe and was replaced by a Christopher Wren church in 1682. That church was gutted by bombing in 1941 and was reconsecrated in 1958 as the Central Church of the Royal Air Force after the parish merged with St Mary le Strand in 1951.

From 1551 to 1844 the Charity managed the Holborn Estate and distributed its income to the poor. As London expanded, the estate’s income grew significantly, leading to a new 1844 scheme that set three purposes: education, wider charitable relief, and improved almshouse provision. Administration was split between 12 Trustees managing the estate and 24 Managers distributing income. Major achievements included new almshouses in Tooting (1849) and the founding of St Clement Danes Grammar School (1862). National education reforms in 1869 led to the creation of a separate Educational Endowment Trust.

In 1881 the Charity Commissioners recommended simplifying administration. A new 1882 scheme reduced the number of Trustees and Managers, though full consolidation into a single board did not occur until the 1935 scheme.

During the Second World War, the Charity, church and school all suffered bomb damage. The almshouses and school were hit by flying bombs, forcing residents to evacuate temporarily and closing the school until September 1944. Income fell between 1941 and 1946 but recovered after the war, allowing repairs, including a new chapel organ in 1949 and a residents’ garden party. The Charity marked its 400th anniversary with a celebration in 1952, and later that year welcomed Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, to a commemorative chapel service.

 From the mid‑20th century onward, the St Clement Danes Holborn Estate Charity continued its longstanding role as a provider of almshouse accommodation and charitable support within London. By the early post‑war decades, the historic 19th‑century almshouses at Garratt Lane, built in 1848 - 49, remained a core part of the charity’s housing provision. In 1966, the Garratt Lane almshouses were sold to the London Borough of Wandsworth, prompting the construction of a new complex at Wells Park Road, Sydenham, consisting of bed‑sitting rooms designed to modernise and expand residential accommodation. Over subsequent decades, the trustees managed evolving administrative, property, and financial responsibilities, as documented in extensive records held at the City of Westminster Archives. By the early 21st century, the 1960s almshouses were deemed no longer fit for contemporary needs, leading to a major redevelopment project from 2014 - 2016. The new almshouse complex, St Clement’s Heights, opened in November 2016, offering 48 fully accessible, modern units set within landscaped grounds. As of 2026, the charity continues to operate as a provider of sheltered housing and grants, maintaining more than £1.2 million in annual income and supporting both older residents and educational initiatives such as St Clement Danes School.

  1. Foundation of the Charity

    Image
    Black and white image of St Clement Danes Church in the Aldwych

    REIGNING MONARCH - EDWARD VI

    The Charity was founded by the Churchwardens of St. Clement Danes Church with the acquisition of land in Holborn.

  2. First Almshouses

    Image
    Blue and gold emblem and name on the Royal Courts of Justice building

    REIGNING MONARCH - ANNE

    The first almshouses were built behind Clement's Inn Hall and are believed to have stood within the area now occupied by the Royal Courts of Justice. These almshouses accommodated 12 women of the Parish.

  3. Trustees and Managers of the Charity

    Image
    IImage of Twinings Tea Shop Sign gold lettering on black background

    REIGNING MONARCH - VICTORIA

    The 1844 Scheme appointed several notable Trustees and Managers, including Richard Twining II, Richard Twining III and Samuel Harvey Twining—members of the Twining family who served on the Board until 2012. William Henry Smith, founder of WH Smith, also served, and the company has had a representative on the Board from 1844 to today. Another appointee was Rev. William Webb Ellis, Rector of St Clement Danes and the schoolboy famously credited with inventing rugby.

  4. Adoption of the Anchor as Emblem

    Image
    Image of iron anchor in the grounds of St. Clement's Heights

    REIGNING MONARCH - VICTORIA

    The anchor first became associated with St. Clement Danes Church through St. Clement of Rome who was martyred in the 1st century by being cast into the sea with an anchor about his neck. An anchor motif is adopted by the Charity in 1848 and is first used on the wall of the almshouse chapel at Garratt Lane. The anchor is also adopted by St. Clement Danes School upon its founding in 1862.

  5. Second Generation Almshouses

    Image
    Image of HEC almshouses in Garratt Lane, Tooting

    REIGNING MONARCH - VICTORIA

    The Charity purchased six acres in Garratt Lane, Tooting, comprising a substantial Gothic Revival complex with Chapel. The almshouses accommodated 20 elderly men and 20 widows/spinsters.

  6. Foundation of St. Clement Danes Grammar School

    Image
    Black and white photo of St Clement Danes School in Houghton St

    REIGNING MONARCH - VICTORIA

    The school was founded in Houghton Street, Holborn, by the parish and funded from income from the Holborn Estate Charity.

  7. Relocation of St. Clement Danes Grammar School

    Image
    Black and white image of St Clement Danes School in Du Cane Road

    REIGNING MONARCH - GEORGE V

    The school moved to Du Cane Road, Hammersmith, partly because the Houghton Street site was needed for the expansion of the London School of Economics, and partly to avoid being merged with two other inner‑London schools—Archbishop Tenison’s and St Martin‑in‑the‑Fields. Both of those schools later relocated south of the river and have since closed: Archbishop Tenison’s in 2023 and St Martin’s in 2024.

  8. Bombing of St. Clement Danes Church

    Image
    Black and white image of St Clement Danes Church ablaze 1941

    REIGNING MONARCH - GEORGE VI

    In May 1941 the church was struck by an incendiary bomb, starting a fire which completely gutted the interior. The then Rector, William Pennington-Bickford, died shortly afterwards, believed to have been overwhelmed by distress at the destruction of the church.

  9. 400th Anniversary of Holborn Estate Charity

    Image
    Image of The Queen Mother unveiling a plaque at the almshouses

    REIGNING MONARCH - GEORGE VI

    Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother unveils a memorial tablet at the almshouse chapel in Garratt Lane.

  10. Reconsecration of St. Clement Danes Church

    Image
    Image of blue RAF cross with eagle and anchor on St Clement Danes church

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    Following the merger of the parish of St Clement Danes with the parish of St Mary le Strand, the church became surplus to parish requirements. 

    The connection with the Charity is maintained through the school holding its annual commemoration service in the church on the last Friday of November.

  11. Charity joins forces with Westminster Amalgamated Charity

    Image
    Black and white image of the Charity offices in Houghton Street

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    It was during the years leading up to 1961 that the connection was formed with the Westminster Amalgamated Charity (WAC). The Trustees were administering both the Drury Lane Public Dispensary Fund and the Louie and Cecilia Holiday Fund and had indicated to Westminster Council that, whilst not prepared to be absorbed themselves, they would take on other charities. In the event, the Charity agreed that the two smaller charities would move from their control to join the other five charities comprising the Westminster Amalgamated Charity.

    From 1961 the Charity and WAC joined forces to share offices and administration staff; an arrangement that continues to this day.

    Both charities first shared offices in Houghton Street, next to the original school building.

  12. Relocation of Almshouses to Sydenham

    Image
    Image of 60s almshouses rear view and garden

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    The Garratt Lane site is sold to the London Borough of Wandsworth and replacement almshouses open in Wells Park Road, Sydenham.

  13. Official Opening

    Image
    Black and white image of Princess Alexandra unveiling plaque of new almshouses in Sydenham

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    Princess Alexandra officially opens the Almshouses at Sydenham, to be known henceforth as St. Clement's Heights.

  14. School moves to Chorleywood, Herts.

    Image
    Black and white image of St Clement Danes School inscribed stone

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    St. Clement Danes School moves to Chorleywood in Hertfordshire and becomes a co-educational comprehensive.

  15. 450th Anniversary

    Image
    Black and white image of a group of residents smiling with arms in the air

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    In February 2002, the Charity marked 450 years with a service of thanksgiving in St. Clement Danes Church.

  16. Rebuilding the Almshouses at Sydenham Hill

    Image
    Image of St Clement's Heights taken from the garden side

    REIGNING MONARCH - ELIZABETH II

    The old 1960s bedsits were becoming increasingly difficult to maintain so Trustees took the decision to demolish them and build a purpose-built block of 50 units, each comprising a lounge, bedroom, kitchen and wet room. Residents moved into the block in 2016. 

  17. 475 Years of Charitable Activity

    REIGNING MONARCH - CHARLES III

    Spanning the reign of seven Monarchs. On the 28th February 2026 the Charity marked 475 years of charitable activity, initially in the City of Westminster. The Charity continues to operate as a provider of sheltered housing and grants.